Your Summer Home Maintenance Checklist
Santaluz Homes Can Use a Summer Once-Over
Your Busy August May Get Even Busier
August tends to be a busy month in most Santaluz homes. If you have kids who are out of school, it’s up to you to dream up new ways to keep them out of trouble (and away from non-stop video gaming). Even if kids are not at homes, you probably have to get twice as much done anyway – you want to be ahead at work and around the house so you can relax and enjoy your vacation. Or recover from it.
And then there is the likelihood that in the back of your mind is the knowledge that you’ve been putting off what should be an annual maintenance once-over. All homes have areas that need looking after, and August and September are the best time to get at them. On dry days that aren’t too blisteringly hot to work, it’s prime time to fix areas that the year’s wear and tear may be turning into future problems.
Warm weather is perfect for conducting a timely energy audit. Any gaps or cracks around doors or windows – the likely culprits if heat leakage raised last winter’s energy bills – can most easily be filled in warm weather. Other possible spots where heat can leak is the junction between different materials, and around fireplace dampers. If you’re a dedicated DIYer, grab some caulk or other professional-grade material and get filling. If you’re less handy, the energy audit may suggest a call to an appropriate professional. A review of the year’s energy bills will tell you whether that makes dollars and sense.
This is the time to pay attention to the big one: the foundation. It’s prudent in all Santaluz homes to clean visible concrete surfaces. Sidewalks and steps can be cleaned very effectively with the same pressure washer you use to clean your car. When it comes to the foundation, be sure to check for cracks, water or mold.. If mold or water is present, a trusted contractor or structural engineer will be able to recommend a solution that prevents real trouble later.
Summer is also a good time to take a look at your home’s deck or patios. Standing water rots wood. The solution can be as simple as slipping planter “feet” beneath outdoor flower pots. As long as water is able to flow around or under stationary objects, the underlying wood will benefit.
These are only a few examples of what you can make part of your summer home maintenance checklist. Call me anytime with home and maintenance-related questions, if you need a recommendation for a reliable local contractor or service provider, or if you want to check on the status of the Santaluz homes market in your neighborhood.
All but 4 of the US Cities listed are in Florida. Manhattan/NYC, Phoenix, Honolulu & Las Vegas made the cut. Florida real estate rivals Las Vegas for foreclosures, which from an investment point of view makes those hardest hit to have the highest ROI. Where are the buyers coming from? The majority influx is from the Far East, Russia and China. The international buyers have CASH and lots of it. Whether one mega mansion or an entire track of homes, the bet is on the US to repair its markets and economy. Unlike stock, real estate you can really enjoy while you own it. So why buy 100 small homes, when you could have one huge one?
- Quality of life – a home provides stability and security for you and your loved ones, and membership within a community of neighbors.
- Pride of home ownership – a home is a personal haven, a place that you can decorate, shape, and share over time because it’s yours.
- Excellent affordability – lower home prices combined with low interest rates means there are tremendous opportunities for buyers.
- Historically low interest rates – around 5 percent in theU.S. gives better purchasing power to those who qualify.
- Appreciation potential – your home investment can grow in value.
- Equity buildup and debt pay down – homeowners enjoy an average net worth of approximately $184,000 vs. $4,000 for renters.
- Leverage – where else can you buy an investment of this magnitude with 5-10 percent down?
- Tax deduction advantages – property tax and mortgage interest write-offs (inCanada, home owners gain a tax benefit upon selling).
- Tax exemption – up to $500,000 per married couple or $250,000 per person on sale of a primary residence in theUnited States (no tax upon sale inCanada).
- The real cost of renting – at $800 per month, with the average
6 percentrental increase per year, you will pay $126,536 over a 10-year period but have zero ownership of the property.